People with a darker skin tone tend to have pigmented underams. Apart from obesityand a family history, there are a few conditions that can lead to darkening of underarm skin which is quite an embarassing common problem, especially among Indian women. Here are some facts about under the arms dark skin and solutions for it:-
- Dark underarms are seen in Addison's disease, a condition in which the adrenal glands produce insufficient hormones. This is a temporary problem that usually occurs during pregnancy and gradually disappears a few months post-delivery.
- Hormonal changes that occur in ailments like polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD), insulin resistance and diabetes also lead to darkening and thickening of the under arm skin due to an over production of skin cells. However, most of the hormonal induced darkening is reduced once the underlying hormones fall within the normal range.
- The darkening of the skin under the arms can also occur because of an irritation in the are due to the regular use of deodorants, perfumes, synthetic clothing and self-prescribed lightening creams to name a few.
- The best course of action would be to consult a dermatologist who will examine the skin after taking a detailed history to rule out any hormonal changes or conditions that can be the cause for the darkening of the skin under the arms.
- There are a few treatments that can help a great deal in tackling this problem. Laser Lightening is one of the most recent, painless procedures that lighten underarm skin without causing any adverse effects. But laser lightening needs at least six regular sittings done at lest a month apart.
- Getting a laser treatment to remove underarm hair is very helpful to improve the texture of underarm skin as regular shaving, hair removal creams and waxing darkens underarm skin gradually and the laser removal of hair helps improve the skin. For Indian skin, a diode laser has the proven to be safe and most effective. A dermatologist examines the skin and hair of the patient of the patient and then decides on the best technology option that will work for him / her.
- 'Microdermabrasion' (MDA) is a machine that uses a rough tip or a row of crystals to polish the skin. Its exfoliating action effectively treats uneven skin, removes dullness and smoothens the underarm skin. This can be followed by application of mild serums which penetrate the skin better after MDA and effectively lighten the area.
- Fruits peels refer to chemical peels that are a combination of naturally available lightening agents like lactic acid and citric acid and hydroxy acids. Fruit peels are the best option for those with sensitive skin as these chemical peels do not cause many side effects and are also mild. They even out the skin, remove and skin and also reduce pigmentation.
- For 410 more highly useful TIPS / TOPICS for all age groups, please Visit here.