IIT/JEE and other exams after 10+2 not only test the students for the hard work they have put in but also for their situational intelligence. Most of the parents and students are puzzled over the matter of selection of a good coaching center for IIT/JEE etc. Following are the failure-proof factors to be considered for choosing a good Coaching Center:-
- Track Record of Coaching Center: Parents / Students should know how old a coaching center is and their success records like number of students enrolled, percentage of students secured rank within top 100 or 500 or 1000. To know the truth, it is better to surf the internet and / or read latest issues of career magazines. A friend or relative whose ward has earlier cleared such exams may guide well.
- Faculties & Their Qualifications: Parents should ask for a list of faculties and their qualifications. Institutes which has IIT-ians pool of teachers definitely have an edge over other institutes which do not have.
- Fees & Refund Policy: Parents should ask about the options available in remitting the fees whether payable in instalments or entire fees to be paid at the time of admission and what about the refund if the students discontinue. Some coaching centers refund a percentage of fees depending on the period for which classes were attended. Parents should never get lured by discounts and special facilities unless they are genuine.
- Quality of Classrooms: As health plays a vital role for competitive exams like IIT/JEE, both parents and students should visit the class rooms to know the comfortable seating / lighting arrangements, discussion rooms and other good sanitation facilities.
- Study Materials: Parents should try to collect some pre-information about the quality of study materials (whether study modules are supplemented by a plentiful supply of solved / unsolved numerical and reasoning problems?). And the coaching centers have a good library of supporting reference books?
- Travel Time to Coaching Center & Mode of Transport: Parents should ensure that the centers are not far away from the residence as the school-going students will be hard pressed to maintain the timings and perform well.
- Class Timing Options: Centers generally provide weekdays or weekend options. However, parents should decide which option will fit in to their children's daily routine in the best possible way. Parents should also ask whether the timings can be changed, in case the ward does not like the timings selected.
- Adaptability of the Institute: Exams like IIT/JEE change the pattern of question papers every year. As such, the coaching centers should regularly amend its techniques to coach students by conducting surprise tests, challenge sessions and non-conventional tests.