Sibling Rivalry exists in every family to a certain extent. Sibling rivarly exists when there is the scarcity of time, attention, love, and approval that the parents can give to each of their children. And it s a fairly normal phenomenon that most young children go through. What parents should do to manage and control sibling rivalry?
- Parenting Knowledge: Parents should have the basic knowledge parenting skills and should have the desire and time to apply these skills and knolwedge.
- Preparing Older Children: When the family is expecting a new baby, the parents must begin early to tell and convince their older children as to how important the children's help is going to be in taking care of their new baby brother or sister. To ensure good long-lasting relationship among siblings, parents should also discuss the children's considerable responsibilities as older sister or brother.
- Leaving Space Between Children: A child who is too young will not be able to understand and respond to the new baby's arrival in a reasonable manner, but will respond in a purely emotional way. Parents, as such, should allow sufficient time gap between the births of children will avoid same kind of care and attention at one time.
- Observing Children: Parents must carefully observe the behaviours of their children, and repeatedly explain to older siblings the necessity of their help in taking care of younger ones. If the oldest child is still less than 12 years old, parents must not leave their children alone at home, with the older ones caring for the younger ones.
- Involving All Children: During family activities and holidays, parents should avoid games and contests in which one of the children wins and others lose. Instead, they should look for activities in which they all win if they cooperate with one another.
- Dealing with Child's Temperament: The three components of a child's temperament are : Emotional Intensity, Activity Level & Sociability. Some children are born with an abrasive temperament, are strong-willed, or may be easily irritated. On the other hand, there are other children that are naturally sweet-tempered & obedient.
- Parents should spend quality time with their children and as some children are very sensitive by nature, extra care has to be taken while dealing with them.
- Parents should never allow very toxic atitude of their children like disrespect toawrds the other parent or any of their child's siblings.
- Parents should not hesitate contactoing a counsellor in case of increased problems due to rivalry among the siblings, for the purpose of better mental and emotional health of the family.
- Sibling rivalry and its negative effects within each family are avoidable, but if not managed, may last for several years. A good parent must appreciate the uniqueness and special qualities of each child so that each child feels important.
- Patience, tact and loads of love - really, that's all it takes.
Parents have to prepare themselves to educate each one of their children working with that particular child's innate temperament.