How to prepare 1 Kg. tasty Sambar Powder & tastiest Sambar? Explained here in a simple and easy to understand language:-
- 1/2 kg. (Half Kg.) New Dried Red Chilli (Long). Keep it in sunlight for a day.
- Coriander Seeds (Daniya whole) - 250 Gms.
- Thoor Dal - 150 Gms. (Yellow Lentils, Telugu-Kandi Pappu, Tamil-Thuvaram Paruppu)
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) - 50 Gms.
- Fenugreek Seeds - 10 Gms. (Hindi-Methi, Kannada-Menthya, Telugu-Mentulu, Malayalam-Uluva/Ventayan, Marati/Bengali-Methe)
- Fry all the above separately without oil. No need to fry Dried Red Chilli.
- Grind all the above. Instead of Mixi, get them well-ground/milled from Flour/Rce Mill to reduce to 100% fine particles Sambar Powder.
- Home-made Sambar Powder will last for 6 months and will be economical.
- Hints to Prepare Tastiest Sambar
- Use white seedless Tamarind & extract tamarind water with hot/warm water.
- Filter Tamarind Water well so that waste particles of Tamarind do not get mixed with Sambar.
- Add Tomato, depending upon the quantity of tamarind you use.
- Also separately boil Thoor Dal to be added with Sambar. Ensure, Thoor Dal is not over-boiled.
- When you add Sambar Powder, add Turmeric (Haldi) Powder & less quantity of salt. If you need more salt, you can add later.
- Ideal Vegetables for Sambar : Ladies Finger (Bindi), Potato, Drumstick or Brinjal.
- Separately fry Onion, Curry/Coriander Leaves & Green Chilli with Oil and add with Sambar finally.
- If you follow the above hints, you will get very tasty sambar.